Monday, May 6, 2013

Home Sweet...Sold!!

My mom called me last week with some exciting news - she and my dad sold their house!!! Their house was only on the market for 2 weeks, and the hubby and I knew it would go pretty fast.

It is sort of an odd feeling though - every time I entered the house from when my parents started cleaning things up, clearing things out and having every room repainted, it became less and less of what I remember it being as "home," and more and more like a stranger's house. It is a really odd feeling, that I know I did not just describe well enough here.

I thought I would feel more sad about it - but really, I don't right now. I think because I saw (and lived) a lot of the sorting, cleaning and moving process, so the change was at just the right pace for me, and not rushed or suddenly all these things had been changed, with me standing there, going, huh...where AM I right now?! I am just as glad as they are that the process is almost done. Who knows - after closing and everything, it might be different. I think then it will really hit all of us that the house just isn't ours anymore. Weird. 

I think it will really hit my dad when he goes to pick up his house keys to go and work on the house some more and the lightbulb moment happens -
  oh yeah, I don't live there anymore. 

It's going to be a hard transition for him most of all, since he mostly built the home from scratch and really took care to make it our house with custom building and trims and things.

All of this moving business really gets me thinking about when we finally are able to move. It is crazy to think that we have lived in our townhouse for five years already! Time sure flies!! We have already set our budget to be able to hopefully look at moving in about a year and a half to two years from right now. By then, we should have enough money saved up, and cleared some of the debt that we have, and also, our house market should have also gone up a bit, so we might end up coming out of the deal almost even!

If you are planning on moving this summer, best of luck! I know the process can be daunting, exciting and exhausting all at the same time!

-LD

No comments: