We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you've made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes. No accomplishment is too big or too small - think about self-acceptance, something you’ve mastered (pump / exercise / diet / etc.), making a tough care decision (finding a new endo or support group / choosing to use or not use a technology / etc.).
Man, I really have come a long way - I was just talking about this the other day...
I think what most sticks out in my mind right now - is that I am really taking ownership of my diabetes and my management. Don't get me wrong - I have often tried to do the 'right' thing when it came to my health and well-being, but there is really a true difference between letting the disease control you and just getting by, and taking ownership of your care, and working WITH it. I have more or less subconsciously (at first) told myself to wake up! Start taking even better care of myself and don't settle. Don't settle for the crummy Endo after Endo that just treat you like cattle, don't listen, don't know, or just plain don't care. Don't settle for less than stellar numbers. Don't settle for the old ways of doing things.
If I still did that, I imagine I would be a very unhappy lady.
I chose to find a new Endo - and have been through three of them after I was 'kicked out' of Pediatrics - third one was the charm - for me.
I chose to get help - making an apt with a nutritionist to go through the right way to do things after all of the changes over the years. Wow - I had been missing a lot! There ARE actually carbs in veggies and protiens! All these years - literally years that I have NOT been counting any of those items at all. Wow.
I took a risk - and signed on for a pump. I am really liking it. One "shot" every 3-4ish days, being able to have it with me everywhere I go, more freedom, and overall, getting my numbers more tuned-in to where I want them to be.
I know it isn't easy - and this blog post made me see both sides of the fence - what if you are just not having a good time of it lately - what if everything seems shrouded in a dark cloud? Keep at it. Sometimes the only way out of it is through it. You can do it.
-LD
No comments:
Post a Comment