Since going to work in downtown St. Paul, I have felt a little like the "little girl from the 'burbs dropped in the big, bad city." Navigating has always been harder for me for about as long as I can remember. The same holds true for me trying to drive anywhere downtown or even walking and navigating the skyway system. I do however like the fact that St. Paul is slightly smaller than Minneapolis and the same goes for St Paul's skyway system. I just need to go "get lost" down there sometime and take some time to find things. I am pretty big on using landmarks to find and remember where things are.
One thing I noticed about downtown are all the PIGEONS!! Where do they all COME from?! I am going to try to snap a picture one of these days, but I don't really want to be known as "that girl who takes pictures of pigeons randomly in the skyway." I will get one though.
Another thing, storms. Storms take on a more epic quality when the thunder rumbles through the tall downtown buildings. Being on the 13th floor is also pretty sweet too. Today the lightning show was awesome to see flicker through the office windows and then the rumbling thunder. I kind of like it when it rains/storms when I am at work. At least it is not a gorgeous day out and I can just get work done. It was also nice that it was on a Monday because let's face it, Mondays always go by pretty fast.
I got two rather large projects assigned to me with little to no instruction given about them or what exactly my tasks are for them. I am excited, nervous and scared all at the same time. It's go time and time to prove myself and why they hired me - in a way. I sort of feel isolated being on a main group of all guys while my counter part has the only other girl on the team to mentor her and describe and explain things to her in detail. She has the more relatable relationship of the both of us. I am a little envious of that, but I know that I am where I am for a reason and I feel really good and really "set" with knowing that.
Actually, I really like the new Avril Lavigne song right now and I think it sort of sums up what I feel about things that are going on with me right now. Especially the chorus:
"Smile"
[Chorus]
Yeah
and that's why I smile
It's been a while
since every day and everything has
felt this right
and now you're turning all around
and suddenly you're all I need
The reason why I smile
-LD
No comments:
Post a Comment