Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's The Greatest Place I Know!!

This past Thursday I went into the ADA office (American Diabetes Association) to help the CITs (Counselors In Training) move all of the camp supplies up to camp. I get absolutely giddy this time of year, just with the anticipation of camp and all that it is to me.

Friday I drove out to camp and helped with staff training all day. I stayed there that night, as "Camp Mom" again this year. There were mostly the CITs who stayed with me in cabin 8. We stayed up way too late. We tried watching the movie Rio twice, but by the second time, every one of them were falling asleep, so I called lights out for the night at about 1am. It started storming that night, a couple hours later. The thunder was pretty loud and kept waking myself and most of the others - which I found out later that morning.

Saturday was another day of staff training with more of the other staff. Then that night, we all had to stay at camp, prepare cabins and camp for the campers who would be arriving at camp at 12:30pm the next day! So exciting! Sunday, the day of camper registration, I assumed my usual role as the Camp Store form collector and miscellaneous paperwork collector and question answerer. After that, we tore town the registration area and I helped the camp director with things that needed to get done around camp and prep for the week ahead. I think overall that they had a very good group of counselors and CITs this year. That is always a good thing to have that gut feeling that things are going to be alright with camp and everything staff wise, because some years, I assure you, it was not alright.

This year at camp we had a record-breaking number of campers attending camp first week - about 233 campers! After the campers arrived, and went through their rotations, there was the first ever CNP Flash Mob!! It was so fun to watch and I have it on video! There was so much crazy dancing! hehe! There were so many kids that for dinner, we had to set up tables on the back deck and outside, in front of the dining hall! It was insane! After dinner, we had "flagpole" where we sing songs, have announcements and lower the flag (at dinner flagpole). then after that, it was time for the Opening "Campfire," where the different counselor groups put on skits to introduce themselves. They are always really funny to watch and be a part of. After the campfire, it was time for me to go home and rest up for the week of "real life" that is this week.

I got home and the next morning, I was feeling pretty crummy. I think I can attribute most of it to dehydration and possibly picking up a cold while at camp. ugh. I ended up sleeping, napping and watching Netflix most of the day on Monday. I am glad, in hindsight that I had taken Monday off from work! I actually ended up running out to the gas station by our house to pick up some Gatorade and Vitamin Water. I actually tried a coconut water too - interesting, I must say. Not really a fan, even though I really like coconut...and I also found out that Glacier Freeze is my favorite kind of Gatorade. mmm...I never drink the stuff, but that was pretty tasty and seemed to do the trick.



I was still feeling kind of ishy today, but much, much better than yesterday. There is way too much to do at work to be sick right now, so I had better lie low and get myself back together!

Yahoo!
-LD

No comments: