After grabbing a much needed latte this morning from Caribou, I realized they had changed out their cups and sleeves to seasonal-themed ones. Then it got me thinking...we take the majority of our seasonal cues from points of retail.
Think about it - not only the slight change of artwork on a disposable coffee cup, but in so many other retailers we shop at each week. Come to think of it, I was in Cub Foods the other night doing some grocery shopping. I was grabbing milk at the time, looked across the aisle and see a display of "holiday themed coffee creamers." Of course I had to snag a peppermint mocha (delicious).
The holidays are even reflected in our coffee creamer selection. That might just be the quote of the day right there.
Think about the big box retailers, like Target. In their stores, Halloween merchandise hit percentages off with the Christmas lights staging the background, with holiday trimmings waiting in the nearby aisles, waiting to push Halloween out of the way.
But think about this. Holiday decorations in stores NOW. It is November 7th. I get that people buy ahead of time and stuff, but it always seems a touch too early. Don't even get me started on the holiday commercials starting last year in October...
I was glad to hear and see that Target took a stand this year and said not until November would they start with their TV holiday commercials. At least one retailer has listened to the public's cries of limiting the holiday exposure.
Don't mind me...I'll just be over here sipping my homemade peppermint mocha. mmm.
-LD
No comments:
Post a Comment