Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Little Diabetes Love


To all my fellow diabetics out there:

I want to give a little love to each of you for all the things we go through on a month-to-month, day-to-day, minute-to-minute, second-by-second basis. You know what I am talking about. It can be the most simple of things dealing with regular or diabetic life. The things that no one else could possibly hope to understand until they live with this disease themselves. Sure, they can read all about it, or live with someone who has it (shout out to my hubby who has had to deal with me on the less than ideal circumstances) but until they have experienced the ups and downs and round-and-rounds of this disease, they won't get it

But we do.

I am going to focus on the positive today, day 7 of National Diabetes Month.

I am so fortunate that this disease has led me to meet so many AMAZING, INCREDIBLE people who are all going through the same struggles that I am. 

I am so fortunate that there is a place like diabetes camp where kids can do to learn more about their disease, be inspired by their diabetic counselors, and for one week, know they are not alone.

I am so fortunate that technology has advanced so much for the 24 years I have lived with this disease. I remember the chem-strips for testing a blood sugar that took 5 minutes each time. I remember only long-needled syringes. I remember not having insulin pumps and having to bring vials of insulin with on trips, but keeping the bottles cold at all times. 
Fast forward to today - where we can get blood sugar results in 5 seconds, and we have insulin pumps that store insulin in them for up to a three or four day supply. The invention of the sensor that helps diabetics notice trends which enables us to react more quickly to our body's needs. 

I am so fortunate to have events in my community like Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes (walk event), Tour de Cure (bike event), the Diabetes Expo (vendor fair) and the Diabetes Gala (fundraiser). These events help raise awareness and touch lives of those not only affected and living with the disease, but those who might know someone with the disease and become more informed. This year for the walk event, a family we have befriended recently came to the event for the first time. One day I hope to get so many more of my friends and family at that event. It is truly something incredible to see. 

Okay, this next one even surprised myself, but here it is:
I am fortunate for my parents' nagging. They took the time, effort, energy, screams, protests, and a slew of other less-than-perfect scenarios and persisted. All of that helped shape me into the diabetic I am today. I think the nagging and constant checking-in made me resentful for years, but once I grew older, it made me want to be the sole owner of this thing. I wanted control. I wanted to show this thing who's boss. And man, haven't I? I don't consider my life with diabetes as a really rough journey. Maybe that sounds crazy. I have been fortunate. When I think about the things that could have happened, or maybe should have happened to me with my diagnosis, but they haven't.

I am so fortunate to have finally found a health care professional team that gets me. I cannot tell you, okay, I so totally have told you on here before, but the struggle to find a doctor and team who genuinely care about me and my care as a diabetic is humbling. I am not just a number. I am not just dollar signs to my doctor. Side note - I am totally writing a thank you to my doctor and her team tonight, in honor of National Diabetes Month for all that they have done and meant to me.

Thank you to all diabetics I have looked up to and looked after so far in my journey. You have all inspired me whether you know it or not. I have learned so much and have so much left to learn. 

If you are a diabetic, what are you fortunate to have in your life? 
If you aren't a diabetic, but know someone who is, acknowledge them and their efforts with their fight. For some, it may mean the difference between choosing to care, or choosing not to; choosing to fight and manage the disease, or not fighting and losing all hope. 

-LD

Edit - I found this photo-a-day listing online that I am going to try to participate in via Facebook. Follow along or feel free to join and do yourself. Take and submit a photo of each topic for each day https://www.facebook.com/AmericanDiabetesAssociation/app_380832601989620:


AND - check out this link for the President's Proclamation of National Diabetes Month!

No comments: