This time, another one of my Paperback Swap book arrivals:
Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
This one looked interesting to me right when I read the back cover online. There was something about the book cover and the title that totally gripped me right away. I wanted to see if the sassiness continued throughout, and so far, just a couple dozen pages in, it does not disappoint!
The description on the back of the book sums it up quite nicely, in her own words:
This is the story of how a haughty former sorority girl went from having a household income of almost a quarter million dollars to being evicted from a ghetto apartment...
It's a modern Greek tragedy, as defined by Roger Dunkle in The Classical Origins of Western Culture: a story in which "the central character, called the tragic protagonist or hero, suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected."
In other words? The bitch had it coming.Right away, you know it is going to be a fun read when the book starts out just like the title and summary, and there are footnotes of her wit on almost every page, lying there in wait.
So I finished the book this weekend and it was every bit as good as I thought it was going to be by my initial read. I ALSO found out that she has written a bunch of other books:

So, of course, I will be needing to read them ALL!
-Happy Reading!
LD

No comments:
Post a Comment