I really liked the bulleted section:
- Give people the importance they deserve.
- Let them know that their contribution is valued and that their opinions, recommendations and advice are needed.
- Analyze the reasons for uncooperative behavior-it is an indication that something is not right, that there may be certain issues that need correction.
- The best way is to allow the situation to cool off and speak at a later time about avoiding such a scene in future.
I saw another post on the same site that claimed that, "Colleges not preparing Graphic Designers for the workplace." and I almost 100% agree with that statement. From my college experience, there was little application for how to conduct yourself in an actual interview situation, what materials to bring to your interview from your portfolio, and so on, and that was just in regards to the interview portion of things.
Sure, we had the Portfolio Preparation I and II classes. Here, the focus was: Student will gain an understanding of the preparation of a professional portfolio and interview techniques. And the second part was more: Final preparation and presentation of a well designed portfolio and resume in preparation for seeking internships and employment.
I vaguely remember talking about the actual interview process in those classes, and the day after the actual Portfolio Presentation was over, I had never felt more alone in my life in regards to my professors, teachers and mentors at college. There was zero assistance from the department(s) in regards to "internship or job interview assistance." Funny, because that, partnered with the claims and glowing reviews given to me by one of my senior professors at a college fair (before I had even applied to this university) said all the opposite. They said that they had one of the best design programs in the country (true at the time) and that there would be plenty of assistance when it came time to finding an internship and landing a couple of first job interviews. Wow, was I in for a rude awakening!
When I had some of my first interviews, I donned the matching suit, hauled my giant silver portfolio all around town and ready to give my 20-30 minute sch-peel to my possible future employer. Uninterrupted and get through my entire portfolio. Wrong again. Some of the things I had done had absolutely zero commonality with the places I was interviewing with. Also, much of the work I had was student work, and that was apparent to just about any person with whom I had interviewed with. I think colleges should give more training on the different types of interviews out there and how to tailor your presentation and yourself to be the best fit for that job that you want to land. Also, more emphasis should be about promoting your brand - or, yourself. In your first steps into the "real career world" or even down the road - to keep stock of what you love and how you want to keep growing and expanding your career and therefore, your brand.
Alright, I will get off my mini soapbox now. I just got caught up in the article which then caused me to reflect on my training and my preparation, or lack of, in relation to the after-college experience.
-L
No comments:
Post a Comment